Hawaiʻi Public Radio is participating in Give Aloha, Foodland’s Annual Community Matching Gifts Program. This program honors Foodland’s founder, Maurice J. "Sully" Sullivan, and continues his legacy of giving back to the community.
How It Works
From September 1-30, customers are invited to make donations up to $249 (per organization, per person) to participating Hawaiʻi non-profit organizations at checkout. Individuals must use their own Maikaʻi card to make a donation. Foodland and the Western Union Foundation will match a portion of each donation made with a Maikaʻi card. Donations made without a Maikaʻi card will not be matched.
This year, Foodland and the Western Union Foundation will match each donation with at least $300,000 for all organizations combined. The matching gift will be divided proportionately among all participating organizations.
Between August 31 and September 6, Foodland will also donate to this year's Give Aloha matching gifts fund a portion of sales made during the opening week of Foodland Farms at Ala Moana Shopping Center.
How to Donate
- At checkout, present your Maikaʻi card (or give your 10-digit number) and inform the cashier that you would like to make a donation to Hawaiʻi Public Radio. If you do not have a Maikaʻi account, you may establish one by telling the cashier you would like to do so; you will need to give a unique 10-digit number (such as your phone number).
- Tell the cashier our organization’s 5-digit code: 77198
- Tell the cashier how much you would like to donate. Your donation will be added to your grocery purchase total. You may donate up to $249 per organization (any amount in excess of $249 per organization will not be matched).
- Be sure the cashier reaffirms our organization’s name and amount that you are donating.
- Any donation must be made payable to Foodland, Sack N Save, or Foodland Farms.
- The name of our organization and the amount you donate will appear on your receipt.
- Donor names will not be released to our organization. If you would like us to know of your gift, please contact us directly so that we may properly acknowledge your gift.
- You may donate up to $249 per organization over the course of several store visits. You may make donations to more than one organization.
Are These Donations Tax-Deductible?
Give Aloha donations are tax-deductible to the full extent of the law. Please save your store receipt for tax purposes since it will be the only record you will have of your donation. You may ask the cashier for a duplicate receipt.
How Will My Donation be Matched?
Every year, the matching gift percentage varies and cannot be pre-determined. For the past 5 years, the matching percentage has been between 22%-26%. Thus, if a customer donated $100 to an organization, Foodland and the Western Union Foundation’s matching gift was $22-$26. The actual matching gifts will be calculated at the end of the program. Organizations will receive 100% of all customer donations given to their organization, plus their percent of Foodland and the Western Union Foundation's $300,000 matching gift. The portion of the matching gift that each organization will receive will be based on the total dollar amount of customer donations designated to that organization as a percent of all customer donations received for all organizations. For example, if total combined customer donations for all participating organizations equal $1,000,000, and $10,000 (1% of total) in donations are designated for organization XYZ, then organization XYZ will receive 1% of $300,000, or $3,000 from Foodland and the Western Union Foundation's matching gift in addition to the $10,000 from customer donations. Total gift to organization XYZ = $13,000.