Hawai‘i Public Radio (HPR) is a locally-managed, community-funded nonprofit serving a statewide audience. We were named one of the 2015 Best Places to Work in Hawaii by Hawaii Business magazine and Best Companies Group. HPR is an equal employment opportunity employer.
HPR MEMBERSHIP & FINANCE - 3 Positions
HPR’s membership group is charged with strengthening ties between the station and its supporters, listeners and the wider community. We help you navigate the station, the program schedule, member benefits and station-hosted activities ranging from open houses to concerts and from volunteering to VIP events, to visits from national shows.
A significant share of the financial resources required to operate HPR is provided by the local community. The membership group works to secure these funds and are stewards of the donor relationships, which include monthly Sustaining support from close to 50% of our members.
The team organizes the semi- annual pledge drives during which the entire station staff is joined in the HPR studios by 300+ community volunteers to urge listeners statewide to make voluntary financial contributions in support of this fiercely independent enterprise.
The work of the HPR finance team touches all aspects of station operation. This group is responsible for: accounts receivable and payable, daily bank deposits, preparing monthly financial statements, payroll and human resources, investments, office management, facility and equipment leases and inventory, plus semi-annual CPB reporting and preparation of the annual budget and audit.
If you thrive in a lively, highly collaborative and interactive work environment and HPR’s mission to provide quality news and outstanding music and cultural offerings resonates with you, we invite you to apply for one of these positions.
HOW TO APPLY:
By February 10, please email or snail mail your cover letter and resume. Be sure to identify the position you are applying for and explain how your skills and qualifications are a match for it. Email email@example.com or mail to: Hawai‘i Public Radio, 738 Kāheka St., Honolulu HI 96814. No phone calls, please. Hawai‘i Public Radio is an EEO employer.
Position Details: Full-time with comprehensive benefits, reports to Membership Manager.
- Provide both inbound and outbound donor/listener support by phone, in writing, and face-to-face in regard to membership giving or benefits, the station, station activities, and events.
- Process contributions received by phone, mail or on-line to the member database. Process updates to giving plans or contact info. Prepare daily transaction recap and bank deposit.
- Support donor retention with outbound calls/emails/letters to update credit card or contact info., to fulfill pledges or renew support.
- Prepare direct mail campaigns – perform simple edits to letters, mail merge and print.
- Prepare mail campaigns or premium items for shipment – address and assemble mail pieces. If bulk mail, prepare USPS docs and deliver to airport.
- Prepare follow-up email(s) in conjunction with direct mail or on-air campaigns. Assist with file maintenance for email database.
- Participate in all aspects of the pledge drives – contribute to planning, early gift revenue activities, gift and premium processing, coordinate volunteers, help with scheduling, set-up and clean-up, data entry of pledges, prepare welcome packets and invoices, help with new member open house.
- Assist with recruiting, training and supervising volunteers to help with mailings, events, outreach.
- Provide support for station events and outreach – process ticket purchases, handle rsvps and guest confirmations, pick up food, help with set-up and take-down, guest welcome and check-in, host outreach tables at events outside the station.
- Provide periodic lunch or vacation coverage for Front Desk/Reception.
Position Details: Part-time, seasonal position, approximately 19 hours/week for two months around pledge drives, reports to Events Coordinator.
- Assist with daily membership activities – respond to listener/donor inquiries by phone, assist with printing/assembling mailings, make follow-up calls to donors to update contact info.
- Station events and new member open house – assist with venue coordination, preparing and sending invitations, rsvps and guest confirmations, pick up food, help with set-up and take-down, guest welcome and check-in.
- Pledge drive volunteers – assist with recruiting and scheduling volunteers, provide info and liaison with prospective volunteers. Assist with preparing confirmation emails and volunteer training materials or scripts.
- Pledge drive thank you gifts – assist with item inventory and set-up, prepare on-air scripts. Post-drive assist with premium fulfillment – assemble gifts for mailing, prepare event gift letters, handle event rsvps.
- Pledge drive food – assist with planning and coordination of meals for volunteers.
- Pledge drive studio set-up – assist with set-up and take-down.
- Pledge drive volunteer supervisor/producer – attend Think Tank, attend Supervisor orientation, train to be a supervisor/producer for the drive, work multiple shifts, volunteer advocate and ambassador during the drive.
Personal qualities (Membership Coordinator, Events Assistant):
Loves public radio.
People- and customer care-oriented personality. Positive attitude, energetic, a self-starter.
A good listener. Attention to detail.
Conscientious and well-organized. Completes assigned tasks in a timely and thorough fashion, asks questions to understand processes and assure accuracy.
Enjoys a lively, fast-paced, collaborative and highly interactive work environment.
Desired skills/experience (Membership Coordinator, Events Assistant):
1-2 years prior work experience, esp in customer or member services
Strong interpersonal communication skills – over the phone, face-to-face, and in writing.
Strong proficiency in MS Word and Excel
Database experience (membership coordinator)
Experience with digital marketing/sales tools (membership coordinator)
Available early mornings, evenings and weekends for station events.
Valid Drivers’ License. Able to lift 50 lbs.
Position details: Part-time, reports to VP Finance and Controller.
- Cash receipts and deposit: Prepare daily bank deposit. Recap and input daily cash and credit card receipts.
- Accounts Payable and Disbursements: Input invoices and prepare checks for signing. File invoices.
- Administrative support including: mailing/filing of underwriting invoices, preparing notice of transfer and in-house documents for car donations, photocopying and filing.
- Month-end: Input disbursements, additional debits, and bank adjustments. Reconcile bank statement. Calculate merchant fee allocation.
- Pledge drive: Assist with tally.
- Assist with preparation of audit schedules.
- Back-up support for payroll processing and tax payment processing.
- Participate and provide support for station events.
1-2 years prior work experience in bookkeeping or accounting.
Attention to detail, accurate data entry, ability to multi-task.
10-key proficiency, experience with MS Excel and accounting software.